What is Stepping Up?
Stepping Up is a physical activity strategy for the Halifax region.
The prevalance of physical inactivity is a public health crisis. The solution requires that we all take responsibility and “Step Up”.
- Less than 50% of HRM residents are getting the recommended physical activity for health benefits.
- 200 HRM residents die prematurely each year due to physical inactivity.
- It is estimated that physical inactivity in HRM costs the provincial health care system $16 million a year in hospital, physician and drug costs alone.
- On average, Canadian adults spend half their waking hours at work.
- It’s estimated that for every dollar spent on support and improving employee health, employers receive a $4 to $8 return on investment; for example, by increasing productivity and reducing absenteeism.
- More walking and cycling leads to lower greenhouse gas emissions and less traffic congestion.
- More people outside being active encourages safer communities.
- There is a positive link between children’s physical activity levels and academic achievement.
- Sources: Healthworks Canada; The Cost of Physical Inactivity in Halifax Regional Municipality, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Nova Scotia, 2004; Canadian Community Health Survey,2003; Physical Activity and Dietary intake of Children and Youty in Nova Scotia, 2005